This is not about a bikini. Finding your own healthy weight should be about knowing when you feel your best and what your body needs in order to work the way it should. There are a number of surprising reasons that weight loss can contribute to overall better health. Hopefully these can inspire you to take an active role in your weight loss goals.
- Allergies and Asthma – Being overweight can put additional pressure on the respiratory system as well as the adrenal glands, both of which manage allergy and asthma symptoms.
- Memory Improvements – Although we don’t know why, a study showed that individuals who lost weight showed improvements in memory.
- Type 2 Diabetes – Perhaps not surprisingly, type 2 diabetes can be reversed with weight loss.
- Improve Sleep – Sleep apnea sufferers who lose weight typically see a reduction in sleep apnea symptoms.
- Skin Health – Nutritional problems often reveal themselves through the skin. With better nutrition and weight loss, skin health improves.
- Foot Pain – Our feet and legs support us and extra weight causes extra pressure on our support systems.
- Mood Improvements – Hormonal imbalance is often associated with being overweight. Feelings of depression and overall well-being will shift as you lose weight.
- Reduce PMS Symptoms – For women, weight loss can cause healthier hormonal balances which often leads to reduced PMS symptoms.
- Arthritis – Weight loss can significantly reduce the pain of arthritis, especially in weight baring areas like the knees.
- Reduced Risk of Other Diseases – There are many diseases which become more of a risk as weight increases, including cancer and heart problems.
Losing about 10 pounds will not only reduce the risk of potentially deadly diseases, it will also make you feel happier, stronger, and more confident. And remember, it’s not always about the weight. Maybe you’ll take up weight lifting and gain weight even as your body becomes stronger and healthier!